Montag, 13. Oktober 2014

The "Shut Off" Week

 
 
 
Hello friends!
 
 
 
 
Something bad happened to me...
 
I lost my smartphone charger.
 
 
 
 
Small thing, if you come to think of it,
but still.
 
 
Spending only one day without my smartphone,
has shown how
- literally -
DEPENDENT
on the darn thing
I've grown.
 
 
 
 

Time to have a "time off" from this modern stuff.

 
 

No fear, I won't give up technology for good

(will get a new charger tomorrow),

but it left me thinking.

 
 
 
 
I would not miss my TV.
I can leave that shut off for a week, most easily.
 
 
Will I miss my phone?
Oh please don't take my phone away.
Can't live without it.
I'm already desperate.
 
 
Or live without my PC?
You're joking, right? ;)
 
 
 
(Marque - "Electronic Lady") 

 

Alright, so, restrictions.

 
 
 

No TV for one week (not even re-watching on the internet)

Only one (!) hour of Facebook per day,

and

no FB games

Phone only for calling, sms, Fitness Pal and Noomwalk apps and whatsapp

(no gaming apps!!)

 

- All electronic devices are turned off at midnight

 
 
 
 
 

Let's see if I can at least reduce my internet & smartphone addiction...

 
 
 
Day 1: very good.
Had to buy a new phone charger and charge the battery while at Alice's.
Went to work feeling rather tired and out of balance and needing rest.
 Was sent home for the rest of the day.
Slept a good siesta from 16:20 - 18:15.
Went for a walk to the hospital and back to visit my best friend
(who had a small operation on her arm).
Made a delish smoothie for dinner
and then took a looooooong relax bath
reading a chapter of "Eat Pray Love"
and a chant of "Savitri".
Lighted an incense stick.
Now settling to bed.
 
Day 2: progressing
Got up at 6:30am and the first thing I did was
turn the computer on.
Then check my mobile phone.
ADDICT.
But getting better...
Had a nice coffee and talk in person with my best friend.
Then went to have lunch and then work.
Work went fine, although I had my phone in my pocket
- just to use my new StepWalk app...
Getting home (thanks for driving me, Maggy),
I only put the computer for my music playlist.
I did not connect to internet til now.
Not missing it either.
 
 
Day 3: wanting too much
Had wonderfully calm sleep.
My inner alarm woke me at 6:30am,
which seems to be my natural wake-up time.
I turned on soft light
and read a bit
and wrote in a paperblank
and meditated with soft music.
At 8:15am I did some yoga.
Then connected to internet to write this blog entry.
Feeling good.
Visited Sunny in hospital and promised to bring my magic for her healing. ;)
But right now it seems I need some healing myself.
I'm wanting too much, got too many ideas, too many thoughts in my head,
too many projects all claiming my attention.
I DESPERATELY NEED RELAX TIME.
So my therapist said I should take medication again
(been on an experiment to go without them;
but seems I'm thrown out of balance again.)
Cleared my living space.
Taken pill.
Sleep.
 
 
Plans:
 
Day 4: needing rest
Beeeeh, tranquilizer pills suck.
Wanted to wake up early and go to Fitness,
but then slept till 10am.
Also, had to leave work early
because yesterday's pill
left me feeling not concentrated enough
to do quality work.
Had a good rest at home.
But feeling bad...
I prefer to be "too active" than
feeling dull.
 
Day 5: walking with friend
Met a good friend at his home
and after some coffee in his garden
(he also gave me some home-grown produce),
we went walking in the warm sun for about an hour.
Feeling pretty good.
 
 
Day 6: Go Xtreme Shut Off (no connection to internet AT ALL)
Cocooning at home
and writing
Already feeling some "withdrawal symptoms".
Would have liked watching TV or playing an FB game.
But committed to this challenge!
Resolved by taking a short walk to the neighborhood playground
and then at home working on a translation.
I get more work done when I shut myself off from outside stimuli.
 
Day 7: benefits of relaaaaax
Shut Off week did me much good.
Now not even wanting to connect to Facebook
and face all that drama.
(I still will connect, but not for hours, like I did before.)
 

 
 
 
Third challenge:
 
SUCCESS 
 
 
 
 
 


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen